Tappoo provides major support for Fiji relief effort
The Tappoo Group has put its weight behind the nationwide relief effort launched by the Fiji Government to help
distribute food, water and basic supplies to homes and families devastated by Tropical Cyclone Winston. Tragically, the cyclone has so far claimed 42 lives and caused huge damage across the islands since it hit Fiji last weekend, although many basic services have now been restored in a remarkable effort by resilient Fijians. For its part, The Tappoo Group – which has extensive duty free and duty paid operations at both airport and downtown locations – has launched multiple support efforts, which include sourcing and distributing truck loads of water, juice and other basic items.
SAD AND CHALLENGING TIME FOR THE COUNTRY…
Tappoo Group CEO, Madhu Tappoo commented: “We are deeply saddened by the wide spread devastation caused by Tropical Cyclone Winston. While our family and most of our own staff are safe and well, our concern is the nation at large.
“The pictures of our own Fijians suffering this unfortunate fate, is hard to bear. We will do all we can as a Group, to help those in need in these trying times. We are delighted that the region has come together as one to help our people of Fiji.
“We commend the work of the Government, private enterprises, corporate citizens, and individuals in these relief efforts. It is times like these that we come together as one”.
The retailer says it is providing monetary aid and food supplies: “We sincerely hope our efforts will bring some solace to those who have lost their houses, savings, and a lot more during this Cyclone”, said Madhu Tappoo. “It is devastating to learn that we have lost 42 lives already and even more devastating to hear reports that the toll could rise”.
He added that the company and its management and staff remain committed to offering help wherever they can.
ALL VISITORS ‘SAFE AND ACCOUNTED FOR…’
Meanwhile, Fiji’s Minister for Industry, Trade and Tourism, the Hon. Faiyaz Siddiq Koya has assured all friends and families of guests currently visiting Fiji that all visitors are safe and accounted for. He added that all properties have taken all necessary precautions and actions to ensure that guests are safe and well taken care of.
“Furthermore, there are no reports of any significant structural damage to the majority of hotels in Viti Levu, except for some properties in the Rakiraki area,” said the Minister.
“We understand that friends and families are very concerned, however, we request everyone to remain calm. Cyclone Winston has caused extensive damage to the communications infrastructure, hence, mobile and Internet communications in some parts of Fiji may be affected. However, communication is active in Suva, Nadi, Denarau and along the Coral Coast,” added Minister Koya.
AIRPORTS OPEN AND BACK TO NEAR NORMAL
Furthermore, the Hon. Minister stated that flights returned to normal on Monday, 22 February 2016 and Fiji Airways is prioritising guests who want to go back home. The boat service schedule was re-instated on Tuesday, 23 February 2016.
The Minister stated that tourism remains a key and important industry for Fiji and this setback will not curb the enthusiasm and the warm hospitality Fiji is renowned for.
APPEAL FUND INFORMATION:
Any readers wishing to donate to the ongoing relief campaign for the victims of this terrible event can do so through the following link:
Bank: Australia New Zealand Banking Corporation
Account Number: 12628523
Account Name: Prime Minister’s National Disaster Relief and Rehabilitation: Cyclone Winston
Swift Code: ANZ BFJFX
BSB: 010 890